T2F is proud to offer lessons in eastern classical and semi-classical singing by Ustad Zafar Ali Khan, a vocalist and composer representing the 28th generation of the Gwalior gharana. Gwalior, the home of Mian Tansen, is also the site of what is considered to be the oldest gharana of sub-continental classical music.
Ustad Zafar Ali Khan received vocal training from the age of 6 by his father, Ustad Qudrat Ali Khan. His vocal repertoire includes khayal, thumri, dadra, ghazal, geet and kaafi. He is well-versed in the tabla and harmonium, and his compositions have featured in the media, including films, television and radio.
- 15 minutes of riyaaz – vocal exercises to stretch and train the vocal chords and tune the ear
- 20 minutes of sangeet – bandish, ghazal, khayal etc, to apply riyaaz training to the delivery of sangeet
- 25 minutes of theory, including Q&A
- Classes will be held on Saturdays and Sundays from 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm
- Classes begin on April 3rd 2010. Enrollment will close after the second class
- Duration: 3 months / 24 classes
- Cost: Rs. 1,500 per class
- E-mail email@example.com to register
Lecture Demo by Ustad Zafar Ali Khan
Ustad Zafar Ali Khan will be at T2F on Friday, March 12th at 6:30 pm, to introduce himself and his approach to teaching singing. If you are interested in getting vocal instruction from a scion of the oldest classical gharana, come and meet the Ustad, hear him sing and sign up!